The cost of being on-line

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 24 16:53:38 CEST 2011

On 24.06.2011 16:39, Tony Scharf wrote:
>> Talking about "not in my backyard": All across Europe it's nearly
>> impossible to build new power transmission lines due to public
>> opposition. What people just don't get is that these are absolutely
>> essential to integrate renewables at a large scale. Oh well...

> This is why I advocate making a move to more local power generation
> with solar, and small scale thorium based reactors (thorium reactors
> are a very interesting concept if they could be commercialized).

Going off the grid is a popular demand particularly in the US where
reliability isn't all that great. However, the key to make that both
practical and economical is storage. While you can compensate for the
daily cycle, it's pretty hard to deal with seasonal fluctuations.

Such variations, however, can be compensated by combining wind and solar
(they tend to be inversely correlated in their power production). In
Europe, that means having the wind farms in the north, solar in the
south, and pump storage right in the center.

That still leaves plenty of space for de-centralized production. But you
might quickly find that your roof isn't large enough for the energy you
consume.

Martin