The cost of being on-line

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 24 16:37:12 CEST 2011

On 24.06.2011 16:23, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
>> One interesting thing about nuclear.  As currently deployed, it
>> actually doesnt work out to be that much cheaper than coal,
>> particularly since no one has found a cheap way to deal with the
>> leftovers.
>
> This is actually quite different in the US compared to France. As far
> as I understand the US doesn't reprocess the waste, whereas France
> does this a lot (lowering the costs significantly).

Even then there is still the question of the final disposal of both the
nuclear waste and the actual power plant. Both are quite a bit
underestimated. Still, disposal of nuclear waste seems to me a "not in
my backyard"-style of problem. In Switzerland, there's obviously some
perfectly suitable geology, but wherever the agency turns up for
exploratory drilling, people oppose it massively.

BTW: Some of the current nuclear projects are massively running over
cost... Nuclear is rapidly loosing its economic advantage.

Talking about "not in my backyard": All across Europe it's nearly
impossible to build new power transmission lines due to public
opposition. What people just don't get is that these are absolutely
essential to integrate renewables at a large scale. Oh well...

Martin