RAID / NAS

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 15 23:37:56 CEST 2011

A quick update on my quest for a NAS: I bought a Synology DS411+ with
4x2TB disks. There is a new model out with a slightly faster CPU (1.8GHz
Dual Atom instead of 1.6GHz Dual), so last year's model was going at a
good rate. Of course it's still slightly more expensive than DIY, but
the difference was reasonably small.

Initial impressions are good. The admin interface is a breeze,
performance according to expectations, and installing the extra package
for the Squeezebox server was super simple. It's reasonably quiet so
that I would even consider leaving it on in the studio, though it will
probably end up in the basement (actually in the bomb-shelter) so that
it could survive a fire in the house.

BTW: The studio is back up and running again after the move... Just a
few bits and pieces still missing: the e-drums need longer MIDI cables
now, and I need to build a new desk and speaker stands. Lovely! ;-)

Martin