iMac or MBP...

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jun 11 17:59:42 CEST 2011

> Nope. Definitely not. I'm looking at 4x2TB disks in a RAID 5
> configuration connected to a Gigabit Ethernet. All the NAS I've looked
> at do RAID in software, and it shows quite clearly on the performance
> comparisons: A faster CPU translates into higher bandwidth.

Thats surely a lot of data.

> Given the higher performance and the improved software compatibility,
> that means I'm looking at an Atom based system. I also value my time
> quite highly, and I do NOT enjoy system administration - meaning I'm
> buying something off-the-shelf even if I could save some bucks by going
> the DIY route...

DIY could be as simple as "find out what someone else did, download their image, and boot it", though .. not so much "system administration" as you might think.  Just 'setup time'.

Nevertheless seems you've got the solution .. interesting that you're going to have a big fat RAID for that .. I guess its family memories kind of stuff?

>> I like the Bifferboard :)

Nice to have x86 under the hood on such a machine ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan