iMac or MBP...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 10 22:15:10 CEST 2011

Op 10-6-2011 21:49, Jay Vaughan schreef:

> Hell yeah, make yourself a really tight little Windows image, drop it in a RAM disk, and watch your system scream.  Well it will also be quite fast with SSD of course (probably quite fast, enough), but I'm very happy with my blindingly fast VM's these days, sitting in RAM.  I could imagine having a 32gig or 64gig RAM machine with a traditional Terabyte disk for booting, and skip the whole SSD issue entirely ..

Wouldn't that be quite wasteful in terms of electricity usage?

After Martin's question about a NAS, I looked into the matter a bit and
for about €350 you should be able to put together a system with a
Supermicro Atom D525 (dual core, 1.8 GHz) mini-ITX board, a Fractal
Design case with 300W PSU, a decent amount of RAM, and enough space and
SATA connectors to hook up six drives. It should be possible to run it
at around 50W when idle. The only issue is the support for RAID, for 64
bits OSes it's a bit limited, would need Red Hat or something. So
hassle-free FreeNAS would probably require a thumb drive inside the
case, and then do software RAID.

- Peter