iMac or MBP...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 10 09:22:38 CEST 2011

2011/6/10 Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net>

> > Yeah, seconded. My machine at home (mostly used for games) is a Core i7
> > 960 (LGA1366; triple channel memory; 3.2 GHz); the one at work (used for
> > development using memory-hungry Netbeans and Oracle SQL Developer) is a
> > Core i7 860 (LGA1156; dual channel memory; 2.8 GHz). Both have 6 GB of
> > memory and I've never managed to get even near that capacity.
>
> There is one reason for a lot of memory: virtualization.  On my machine
> with 16gigs of RAM, I can run two fat copies of Linux and an XP VM, each
> with their own abundance of RAM allocation, and still have lots and lots of
> room for native things outside the VM.  The extra RAM can be like having 4
> more computers ..

But even then... look at the attached screenshot of Windows' task manager.
This is with Netbeans 6.7.1 (the over 500 MB javaw.exe process), SQL
Developer, Firefox, Outlook and Wireshark running, plus VirtualBox with an
Ubuntu virtual machine (configured for 1 GB and 1 CPU).

Only like 60% of the main memory used, because apparently VirtualBox is
configured to dynamically allocate memory. Now the VM isn't actually running
anything, but you'd have to go pretty crazy to max out the 6 GB memory.
Given that Micke mostly does web development, I doubt he'll have loads of
VMs all running at the same time.

Still, personally I would recommend neither an iMac nor an MBP, because I
don't trust all-in-one systems. It just restricts your options with little
gain. Isn't there some sort of Mac tower for a reasonable amount of money,
running a fast LGA1156 CPU and 8 GB of memory?

- Peter