iPad Midi environment or Other Controller?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 29 16:13:09 CEST 2011

> It is discontinued.  The main problem is that while it is a great piece of
> hardware, the controlling software sucks.  Fortunately, all communication
> with the C4 is via midi including the strings to set the displays etc.
> The main problem is that there is no way to do checksums in the strings so
> it won't work with a couple key pieces of gear for me which is irritating.

If this is the case, why not just program an Arduino to supplant the on-PC software that was doing all the 'real work', and keep the C4 as a custom controller?

> I can write a new software controller for it, I just wanted to make sure
> there wasn't something available that would do it.  It does seem that
> ultimately something like the iPad would be ideal but right now it looks
> like I would probably be doing as much coding in Puredata to interface
> with TouchOsc as I would in coding a new controller.  I also think the
> iPad needs to be a little larger for this type of application.  I'll
> probably end up writing something myself but I have so little time these
> days I was hoping to be able to purchase something.

Fully understood, but I think your best chance to get on with it is to just replace the MIDI I/O processing with an onboard microcontroller .. ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan