iPad Midi environment or Other Controller?

James Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 28 23:42:23 CEST 2011

Once again I approach the bar for collective advise.  I’m look for either a
new controller to replace my Mackie C4 or a killer iPad environment that
would let me configure faders, knobs etc. to send **sysex** that I have
complete control over labeling, checksums, etc.  Here’s the problem, my C4
has several things about that I absolutely love.  First, it has a ton of
knobs each with a lcd readout strip above and below that let me label the
knob and show the current values.  The editor ir organized in pages so you
can flip through different editing section with a single button press.
Brilliant.  Secondly, it allows me to define text labels to display that map
to numerical output so that say the “LFO Shape” knob knows to display
“Saw”,”Tri” but transmit 0,1 etc. on the sysex side.

There are unfortunately a couple of killers in it.  First, it has been
discontinued by Mackie and it was never a mature product when it got the
axe.  First, it relies on a piece of software that runs in the background to
actually do all the sending, formatting, etc. of the data.  The C4 hardware
just sends MIDI back and forth to the program to say which knob has been
turned and how much.  The software figures out what the knob corresponds to
and then outputs the correct sysex string.  More lethal, it does not support
checksums so I can only use it for my gear that does not use checksums which
is around ½ of my stuff.

Ideally I would prefer something physical to replace it with but if there is
a magic MIDI environment for the iPad then it might be enough to actually
get me to purchase one.

James R. Coplin

PS:  The Sequentix Cirklon **is** that awesome.  I haven’t had a decent
night’s sleep in a couple of days now.