new track..looking for critique

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 21 15:42:25 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Kim Johnsson <johnssonkim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good call :-) I like it, reminds me a bit of Andrea Parker. Whom I like :-)

Thanks!  I will have to check Andrea Parker out. I havn't heard of them.

> I've been trying to get into Live for some time now. A while ago (on
> my music time scale that's about two years, if not more) I started to
> make a song in Live by creating a bunch of individual clips, as one
> would expect. That worked out ok, and it felt quite intuitive, the
> effects & stuff sounded really great, and all in all I was quite
> impressed with Live, but I found that arranging the clips to a final
> song just didn't feel right, and some things were impossibly hard to
> do (don't remember what, though). People make wonderful arrangements
> with Live, but I somehow find it so much harder to do than on Sonar. I
> do think Live is the perfect tool for
> messing-around-and-seeing-what-happens, as long as all the time is
> spent in Session View.

I have learned that Live is a program with a split personality.  The
clip window is one and the arrange window is another.  I usually work
in just one or the other, and lately it's mainly in arrange. I use the
clip window only for collecting audio assets that Ill pull over to the
arrange window or as a kind of 'painters pallet' to test out different
combinations of clips togehter.

> How does Live work for you? How do you use it? Do you record long
> takes, or do you tend to make short clips and combine them later? I
> would think that having short clips gives you the best flexibility,
> and hence having long recordings of modular wondefullnesses kind of
> takes you away from the original Live way-of-working/thinking. I might
> be wrong, but I feel music like this would be easier to do in Sonar
> (or some other linear sequencer); for me having an entire track in one
> clip feels like an extra step, if all you want to do is record log
> takes and then arrange them. Not criticizing, just wondering :-) Just
> proves I don't quite get Live...

Live as an instrument played via the clip window is just a toy to me.
I don't really use it the way I think is most common. I mainly use the
arrange window while the clip window is more like the sample pool in
cubase (did sonar ever get something like this?  One of the main
reasons I dropped it was a lack of good asset management window).  I
record a really long pass on the modular (maybe a few) and then I will
load in Maschine and create a drum part to go with it.  I may add some
more synth parts as well, maybe bring in massive or FM8 to go with it.

I have two wishes for live in this context:  1 - that you could
somehow view the clip view and arrange view at the same time.  Maybe
this is an option somewhere, but I don't think I have ever seen it.  2
- I would love it if they would improve the MIDI recording/playback.
If I decide to play something real time on my drum kit or keyboard (I
do a lot of live druming lately) the timing is so terrible the
resulting tracks have to be edited to hell before they fall back in
line.  I don't have this problem in reaper, were just a simple
quantize will put everything in line.  I am sure Sonar does this
brilliantly well compared to Live, but I havnt kept my Sonar upgrades
up to date so I don't know.

Tony