A wireless solution for your average MIDI studio ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 15 20:05:58 CEST 2011

> OK, that makes sense. But you still need to hook up the synths and rack
> units and whatnot to some sort of mixer, plus the power supply of
> course. So, instead of a whole lot of little devices that plug into MIDI
> ports (I'm imagining you'd need two per synth, unless you're happy with
> unidirectional traffic, and anything other than something that looks
> like a plug will give you trouble with sticking it to the synth), would
> it be an idea to have a unit that either has a bunch of MIDI ports plus
> ANT, or even a USB host port to connect a USB MIDI interface?

The simple fact of the matter is that even though MIDI is a 'legacy' interface, it doesn't make it less useful in cases where there is real live hardware that some user wants to use.

A single UART and a tiny microcontroller grafted into a MIDI jack could open the 'legacy goldmine' a little, for the synths where there is in fact a decent MIDI implementation (many).

> One thing that would concern me is that, if you have plug-like devices,
> they can be easily nicked.

Well, then, duct-tape.

;
--