A wireless solution for your average MIDI studio ..

Nate King EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 15 16:34:22 CEST 2011

"But all I need to solve that is a great control application on the tablet
that transmits MIDI over WiFi to the main studio computer. No special
hardware required."

+1 to that. the software abilities are what holds me back, not missing a
piece of hardware. The only advantage being wireless "really" gives me is
the ability to patch easier. Yeah it's nice, but is a supplement to the
abilities of the software. I would guess that the software would be able to
handle all sorts of midi i/o streams (any device that shows up as a midi
driver), no? (that'd kill the "usb" comment since all synths still use midi,
it's just encapsulated in the usb protocol).

Yet, I think the wireless hardware and the particular technology of the
wireless hardware is significantly secondary to the abilities of the
software. I'm not missing the hardware to get it done, I'm missing the
software to make it work like I'd want it to. If it's easy to have a user
administered wireless patch bay, then go for it, but it's not a "sticking
point" for me. I don't think you'll find too many that will absolutely have
to have it for that functionality.