How can you turn a small sample into a never-ending pad?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 31 16:08:12 CET 2011

there are a lot of different techniques I can think of:  Granular synthesis,
transwave synthesis, wave table, additive - thats just a few.

You can also you FX and feed back to turn small impulses of audio into very
long evolving textures.  I have a soundcloude demo of my Axe-Fx being used
in that way (the only input to the patch was was a 3 sample long blip and
then some occassional drum loops to add textures):

http://soundcloud.com/noisetheorem/noisetheorem-feedback-synth-using-axe-fx-ultra

That demo is more noise than music, but it makes the point.  Listening to it
know, I should have called it 'Traffic Jam on Phobos'

When I was borrowing a tape delay unit, I even used that to create some nice
pad sounds.  pump the feed back, play in a pitched sound and sample away...

Manipulating noise into musical timbres is an art.  One I wish I had more
time for.

Tony

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at chello.nl>wrote:

> Op 31-1-2011 15:58, Dave S schreef:
> > Hey Bar,
>
> > Cheers for any pointers in the right direction!
>
> Granular synthesis perhaps?
>
> Gert
>
> --

NoiseTheorem: