Spark anyone? Yet another "new" drum machine

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 25 00:41:42 CET 2011

> Btw, I have not even touched my Maschine after the usual 2 week
> honeymoon.
> I don't know why I bought it as it meets pretty much every personal
> criteria
> for what I consider to be boring/uninspiring..
>
> Hey ho - you live and learn..

I had the opposite reaction to it.  Prior to Machine I pretty much used
Battery exclusively and while it was great, it also wasted a ton of my time.
In Battery, hours would go by while I messed around with a single sample to
get it perfect.  In Maschine, I really appreciated the simple approach where
I just loaded up the samples and went for it.  I find that in a live
environment it really works well and has an immediacy to it that I
appreciate.  I can't put my finger on it exactly but it seems to encourage
me to just get on with it much more than something like Battery ever did.
All of us have differing agendas and interactions with our gear so it isn't
surprising that we can have such divergent responses to the same gear.  For
me, I love it and rely on it constantly.  It will certainly make the cut as
a piece that makes it into my minimal setup that will go to China with me.

James R. Coplin