Interesting article about Google and h.264

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 17 00:01:56 CET 2011

>> USB sucks, is why.
> Why does it suck?

a) Power consumption and allocation requires arbitration
b) CPU must be involved in transfers
c) *Very* PC-specific - device-to-device transfers technically 'not allowed' by the spec
d) Has only the 'advantage' that its now become a massively standard peripheral standard

Firewire is better in so many ways, but lost out to peripheral marketing departments.  My main desire is for device-to-device to be possible in the peripheral buss, but then that wouldn't be 'peripheral', and thus 'profitable' to too many people, so of course we get the lesser value in the end .. just another way that the mob selects mediocrity instead of substance.

;
--
Jay Vaughan