Modems: 60 Years of Hooking Up

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 22 15:58:42 CET 2011

One of my coolest geek party tricks was that back in the day of coupling
modems (the kind where you have to put the phone receiver in the cups) I
could whistle the handshaking pitches and connect faster than letting the
device do it.  Unfortunately, rising baud rates soon put the pitch out of
range for my talents and I had to develop other stupid skills - like tearing
phone books in half.

James R. Coplin