room with a view...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 20 01:02:22 CET 2011

Op 20-2-2011 0:29, Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> On Feb 19, 2011, at 22:33 , Peter Korsten wrote:
>
>> So... does it come 'pre-configured', or do you have some say in how the
>> walls are oriented? Like, is it modular? (Tony would like that. :) )
>
> This is the standard layout: http://jstsch.com/tmp/apt3.jpg

Ah, right. It looked customised.

> Basically what you can change is: combine bedroom 1&2, remove wall between between living room and bedroom, etc etc...

So, one big living/working/cooking space, and no immediate plans for
offspring. :)

>> Trying to figure out what the area behind the bathroom is...
>
> Entrance/hallway. Place to put your coats 'n shoes. It's 90 square meters, so nothing compared to your Maltese mansion ;)

Oh, mistook the toilet for the entrance. Don't ask.

And as for the size of our house: yes, it's quite roomy, but not
particularly large for a Maltese house of the late seventies/early
eighties. Houses/flats these days don't have enough space to swing a cat
in. All over our village, you can see terraced houses being pulled down
and puny little flats put in their place. See, everybody wants to live
in this 'highly desirable area', right? Except that not too many people
want to live in a glorified chicken coop, and rather get something nicer
in a not-so-well-regarded area, so most of them lie empty.

Case in point, where I went on Friday:

http://goo.gl/maps/qCCQ

More or less in the middle of the map there are flats, that sort of
blend in with the old surroundings with massive bastions, like the
pyramid does with the Louvre. In other words, either you like it or you
hate it.

http://www.franksalt.com.mt/Developments/StAngeloMansions-CottoneraWaterfront.aspx

Birgu, the local council where it is located, is an area with a lot of
poverty. These flats, though, are not for the poor. They're not even for
the quite-well-off.

Having said all that, I think our house would set you back about €350k
(which is considerably more than what we bought it for). If you would
compare your new flat to our house on a euro-per-square-metre scale,
though, I think we'd score a lot lower. So you cannot really compare the
two.

But all in all, we're happy where we live, and if you (or anybody else)
would like to visit, we have a spare bedroom, with an AN1x and EX5 (OK,
OK, you got those too), but unfortunately without an air conditioning
unit. Which excludes a good four, five months a year.

- Peter