joining the modular club

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 28 15:48:08 CET 2011

Welcome to the club!  Modular will change your thinking about sound and music.

One resource you are going to love if you havn't yet found it:

http://www.modularplanner.co.uk/

This lets you play with various configurations and layouts as well as
create 'patch sheets' by adding cables to the connections.

Currently, my modular is only half its total self.  The Monorocket
case I had was an old version with a flaky power supply.  Steve and
Monorocket is currently replacing it.  When I get it back, I am
planning on expanding the system quite significantly (I got another
nice bonus this year at work, and the OK from the wife to be a little
bit irresponsible with part of it).  The ultimate system will look
like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lDYAt6tWRpZ17hjMAmFvC97rJgBaSYkKTpJ5DpLFUYo?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BmtEeSlAX7VjFr29eFFD3N7rJgBaSYkKTpJ5DpLFUYo?feat=directlink

My goal with this expansion is to have a multi-timbral (though still
monophonic) setup.  Ive gotten very much into generative music, and
having all of those logic and modulation sources are excellent for
that. I think my next expansion will be into video synthesis, but that
is a whole other ball of wax...

For sequencing, I have tried a lot of things. So far, I have found I
definitely don't like using the computer or playing it from a
keyboard.  It just doesn't feel right if that makes sense.  I am very
content to use the Z8000 sequencer and uScale when I want melodic
scales.  The Flame Clockwork provides MIDI sync, which is all I really
want from the computer world.

Another good blog to follow is Trash_audio.  Justin and Surachai are
local to Chicago and have hosted several synth meets, and host one in
LA every year around Winter NAMM.  Analogue Haven has probably the
best dealer website regardless of weather or not you order from them
(and I cannot speak highly enough of Shawn Cleary at AH.  He has
always been helpful).  I buy some modules new, but try to find used
first - you will save at least 20% over new, and I have yet to hear of
any modules having been actively abused.

Also, start planning on your second case NOW.  You may think the A100
is going to be enough but...nope.  When you do, get a Make Noise Maths
module (everyone will tell you this).  It's some of the most fun out
there.

One other thing I would like to comment on about modular synths and
the users.  Getting into it has really opened me up to a whole
community of enthusiasts.  I have also had the privilege of having met
several of the manufactures and had really interesting and inspiring
conversations with them.  None of them are getting rich off of selling
modules, so it really is a labor of love for them.  Some of these guys
really are mad geniuses.

btw, in case you havn't already seen me on Muffwiggler, my handle
there is Noisetheorem.  I post fairly regularly.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like.

Tony