Twyndyllyngs on Star's End

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Dec 5 22:18:53 CET 2011

On 12/4/11 4:47 AM, Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] wrote:
> Bill,
>
> My problem is that I can't *choose* to be on the music bar and not
> recieve the intergalactic travel mails. Ideally, the subscription to
> your show's promotion should be bases on individual's choice. Imagine
> if everyone on the bar would send about 3 mails a week about their
> shows...
>
> The fact that someone raised the question about a month ago and you
> didn't notice makes me think the music bar is just a broadcast station
> to you.
>
> Like Paul, I'll filter them but still feels it isn't right.
> Regards,
> Marc
I guess I need to make a few points.

Is this GEAR-bar or MUSIC-bar?  Is the music-bar a supportive
community?  Is it only about gear?  In a supportive community, how can
one get that support without mentioning when we're going to make art in
public?

Posting about my band playing on someone else's radio program is quite
different from me posting about my own radio programs.  Is inviting my
friends to listen to me do a live set on the radio considered shameless
self-promotion of a nefarious nature?  How is this different from
someone announcing that they're playing a gig in a club?  At least with
a radio broadcast, you don't have to make an effort to go out and pay
for over-priced drinks.  You can consume whatever you like and do it in
the comfort of your own home while wearing your jammies.  How is telling
the bar that my band is going to play a list set on the radio different
from all the posts about tracks people make?  It's all free listening
for you.

If you're tired of seeing my posts to remind people to listen and the
following playlist (that's only two emails per week for Galactic Travels
and only four emails per month for Thought Radio), then filtering out
those posts is made easy by my consistency in wording of the Subject
header.  But the musicians (known and unknown) who get played on my
shows lose the chance to catch your attention.  It's a shame for them,
some of whom have been barians!  If anyone thinks that my posts about
the radio shows I host is self-promotion, then you don't know me or the
shows.  It's about the music and the musicians who can't get airplay on
your average, every day radio station.

Marc - You DO have the choice because you can set up a an email filter.
Your analogy about walking into a room, making an announcement, and
walking out is faulty.  I may not be the most vocal person here but I am
a long-time participant around these parts.  My posts are certainly not
limited to promotion.

If any of my posts are against the rules of the music-bar, I will be
more than happy to discontinue them.  But I was under the impression
that I wasn't doing anything against the rules, courtesy, or accepted
barian practices.  Please correct me if I am in error.

Cheers,

Bill