SuperCollider example (was Re: subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?)

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Aug 28 19:28:26 CEST 2011

Op 28-8-2011 17:40, Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:

> I'm not sure I follow you. sc isn't a java application. Perhaps you're
> referring to the java version of DFM1, which I wrote as a reference
> prior to porting to (C/C++) SuperCollider, pd and Max.

Well, the server shows itself with a Java icon (the coffee cup with the
steam). That you can run it inside Eclipse is another hint.

> The sc language is compiled into its own bytecode, transmitted via OSC
> to a server. The ugens provide primitives which the bytecodes reference,
> ie, all CPU intensive operations are handled by native compiled code.
>
> Some details on this in chapter 24 in The SuperCollider Book (the VM
> opcodes are listed on P670).

Yeah, I was afraid I'd have to do a bit of reading...

- Peter