London/UK violence

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 15 01:05:23 CEST 2011

Op 15-8-2011 0:21, The Dong schreef:

> On 13/08/2011 11:21, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Just go and look for yourself without prejudice.
>
> What's the Maltese deficit again? Look out! :)

Remarkably low, actually, considering that the current government is
happy to build all sorts of over-budget, my-friend-got-the-contract type
of mega-projects. It's under 3%, which is a lot lower than that of quite
a few AAA-rated European countries.

National debt is another matter, though. It's current €4.5bn, which is
probably what they spend in a week on healthcare in Germany, but it's
around 70% of GDP, and that's rather high.

Official unemployment is low, but the labour participation is the lowest
of the entire EU, meaning that some 53% actually work, and cater for the
rest. For 50-to-65 age group, the difference is even greater.

Even though we have more national and public holidays than any other EU
country (like tomorrow, whee!), we work longer hours than the EU
average, because practically everybody who has a job works for 40 hours.

Fitch rates us A-1, Moody's at A+, S&P slightly lower at A. Which is
some four notches down from AAA. For such a tiny economy it's not too bad.

All in all, we're doing OK, despite the current government (which has
been there for the last 25 years, minus an 18 month interval). So nobody
in the rich north should have to worry about having to bail out Malta
(least of all because it would be pocket change for them), and we're
quite willing to lend you a few bob in case your economy goes awry. ;)

- Peter