London/UK violence

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 12 13:22:02 CEST 2011

>> Zero Television (cult) Policy.  Read from books every day.  Have many, many books.  Eat well, as a family, daily.  Play with your kids.
>
> Sounds good. But are education and parenting the same? What happens when your kids go to school?

Education starts at home.  Flynn already has learned how to speak English, how to make letters and so on .. he knows about 7 letters and how to draw them, and what words they are in, and I teach him new ones whenever he wants to - on his own origination, he's learned to spell quite a bit of his own name.  Not bad for a four year old..  I will be doing his homework with him every day, just as part of our normal daily ritual.

We have rituals - standard actions we do every day.  I think this is also very important in the home .. parents who ignore scheduling because its 'not fun' are not making it fun enough to do.  We make our schedules every day, Flynn knows when its "Daddy Time" and when its "Teeth Brushing Time" and so on .. I expect this will help at school, with attention span.

I'm also going to require my sons schoolteachers to have a much better integration with home/school work.  There will be subjects I'll want to teach him (C, Python, Linux administration) and subjects I'll want to learn with him (Algebra, Calculus, etc.) .. we'll be working on ensuring that both sides of this fence don't get ignored over the years.

Its a lot of work to maintain school/homelife balance and parental involvement, but thats why few parents do it, and thats why we get riots.

;
--
Jay Vaughan