Bat detectors

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 4 20:14:20 CEST 2011

On 04/08/2011 11:43, Chris Strellis wrote:
> I would like to make a nice simple bat detector.  I think our Mr Dong is
> an expert here and I hope he'll chime in. There's loads of info on the
> web but what are the good techniques? I like the simple divide down
> frequency division myself.

I'm not an expert, I can hear bats without biomechanical aids ;)
Here's a link to, many links:

http://bertrik.sikken.nl/bat/index.html

(Many dead links)
The simple bat detector might be a good starting point.

The heterodyne and frequency division remind me of metal detecting
circuits. The 4024 is used by at least one major metal detector
manufacturer. If building any of the freq div circuits that use the
4024, I recommend expanding it a bit with a rotary switch or three way,
so you can select different freq divisions (look at the 4024 datasheet)
If only for the novelty factor, but I'm sure it would make it even more
useful for whatever you can think of, if not just bats.

Many of these circuits say to use an ultrasonic electret, which is
expensive. You might get decent results with a small ordinary one if
cost is an issue.

Or try a kit?

http://www.alanaecology.com/wildlife/Magenta_Bat_Detector_Kit.html

Though that might be a heterodyne detector.
This detector (heterodyne) is not too expensive (comparatively) and
looks like all you'll need for any species:

http://www.semafor.co.uk/bat-detector.html#Nottop

Good luck :)