had enough of mac, looking for new OS and laptop

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 3 09:34:27 CEST 2011

> I have a .iso of ubunto 10.4, I'll download 10.10 today and give that
> a whirl. I may just build ubuntu onto the SSD and try it for a week or
> so, if it doesn't work I'll do a clean build of OSX 10.6 (I'm not
> going to put 10.7).

Sounds like a good plan.  10.10 is more than suitable for the task you wish to give it.

BTW, what about installing Ubuntu in VMWare/VirtualBox/Parallels (whatever you have) and using that for development without much more fuss?  I do that rather successfully on my Macbook Pro (I don't have any MIDI problems, however) - I have VM's for Win7, Ubuntu, an LFS system, and so on - and they work flawlessly for embedded stuff with the AVR and PIC compilers, and so on ..USB access is pretty much smooth as silk.  Maybe you can route around this whole problem by just setting things up in a VM, using the VM's drivers for USB MIDI, and so on ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan