had enough of mac, looking for new OS and laptop

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 2 13:17:11 CEST 2011

Jay,

> Very weird, this really doesn't usually happen on OSX unless you've installed a ton of CrapWare.

Hmm, eagle, adium, skype, logic pro... that's about it really.

> That is absolutely bizaare.  I've got no idea how that can happen in Finder ..

it's been getting worse..

> How are you sending sysex MIDI data to the interface - using a *MIDIPacketList (full of sysex data) sent to MIDISend(), or "1-or-3 bytes at a time" in your own internal loop, also calling MIDISend()?

MIDI SYSEX librarian is the tool I'm using, I *WISH* MIDI-OX was
available on OSX.

> This "Skipping two bytes" thing seems like you're running into the "MIDI is 3 bytes of data, but people send a whole Word" problem that MIDIPacketLists are supposed to prevent.

Errr no, skipping 2 bytes after receiving/sending 4... consistently..
it smacks of a buffer problem somewhere.

> Basically, if you try to send a sysex buffer byte-for-byte, it won't work due to the internals of CoreMIDI trying to keep the MIDI stream "properly byte aligned" (its needed for properly dealing with running status events and so on), but if you build up a MIDIPacketList as a sysex buffer, you *shouldn't* have any problems like you're experiencing.  Or, better yet, use MIDISendSysex .. this works flawlessly in my experience.

yeah, but this is a SYSEX send, it *SHOULD* send byte for byte what is sent!

> A portion of the CoreMIDI docs you may have overlooked:
> "MIDIPacket; data - A variable-length stream of MIDI messages. Running status is not allowed. In the case of system-exclusive messages, a packet may only contain a single message, or portion of one, with no other MIDI events."

I'm aware of that... but that's not where my problem lies..

> Dunno if that is helping you in any way, but its quite possible that the MIDI driver you're using (what is it, by the way?) is interfering with the two different entry points into a driver for MIDI data - single-message MIDI sends, and variable-length SYSEX sending ..

I have no idea what driver, the device itself is supported by core
audio and just appears as "MIDI Interface 1, In and Out"

> Oh, Ubuntu on most modern Macs is a wonderful, wonderful thing.. *BUT* you will have to fiddle to get drivers working.  I sure hope you don't have one of those multi-chipset graphics cards .. that will suck.

have no idea, going to check.

> Get your Mac working properly, it has the potential to be extremely reliable..

it used to be reliable, now, I dunno.

Paul