had enough of mac, looking for new OS and laptop

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 2 09:26:59 CEST 2011

2011/8/2 Paul Maddox <paul.Maddox.mail-list at synth.net>

>  thanks for the info, question is, which type of windows 7?
> I can see a version of windows 7 home premium for 120 quid and one for
> 90quid. the 120 quid says "Full edition".... bizarre...

Well, basically you have the choice between Home Premium, Professional and
Ultimate. Professional lets you control the computer from a remote location;
Ultimate does that, and lets you change the language, and adds BitLocker.
None of these are enough reason for most people to get anything other than
Home Premium. There might be a limitation if you have more than two cores,
but since I run Ultimate and my wife and son run Professional, I wouldn't
know.

(Wait, there's Home Basic as well, if I'm not mistaken, but I wouldn't go
there.)

Then there's the choice between 32-bit and 64-bit. If you manage to buy an
OEM version, you have to make this choice at purchase; if you get the retail
version, you get both versions. My guess is that the £90 is the OEM version
(which may only be sold with a new computer) and that the £120 is the retail
version.

All things being equal, you might as well install 64-bits. There's no real
advantage or anything, but whereas 64-bit is backward compatible with 32-bit
drivers and applications, the reverse is not the case.

So my advice would be to go with 64-bit Home Premium.

 mY mac, 2.4Ghz dual core, 4Gb ram, ought to be enough to run it, MORE
> than enough....

Perhaps more than enough, but not an huge lot, in my experience. Plenty, but
not enormous.

- Peter