had enough of mac, looking for new OS and laptop

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 1 23:24:20 CEST 2011

Op 1-8-2011 22:07, Paul Maddox schreef:

> i'm totally open to OS, windows7/ubuntu/whatever and machine.

Well, the good thing about Windows is that about imaginable software
package on the planet runs on it. What you have to decide is whether you
want to run XP or 7.

With XP, I can honestly say that I've never had a crash. However, XP is
no longer supported by Microsoft, so automatic updates will come to an
end. That's a consideration.

With 7, I've had maybe one or two crashes. Now I build my computers
myself, and although I only use high-quality components (Supermicro
motherboard, sort of thing), you'll never get matched components like in
a pre-built system like a laptop. And indeed, the Dell desktop at work,
which is very similar to the one I have at home (Core i7 860 instead of
960, 6 GB memory, optical drive, discs are different) never had any
problem. On the other hand, that machine doesn't run as many background
tools as this one.

Another thing I've noticed with my computer at home (and never with the
one at work) is that, sometimes, an application freezes. Windows notices
this, too: the application window becomes grey, the mouse pointer
becomes this rotating blue circle, and it takes 10 to 20 seconds to come
back. No data is ever lost. I suspect it may have to do with my discs,
but XP never showed this issue.

Perhaps I should re-install it, because at one point I simply swapped
the motherboard on my installation.

Other than that, Windows 7 is a very comfortable operating system. It's
pleasing on the eye, it has all these little gadgets, and the enhanced
task bar is wicked. It does, however, have greater system requirements
than XP (but that is 10 years old!), even if you switch of Aero.

As for hardware, I cannot help you there because I don't like laptops
very much.

- Peter