Novation Ultranova?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 10 18:17:52 CEST 2011

I already talked to James via chat, but thougth I would post my
comments hear as well.

The UltraNova was a pretty cool synth.  I say was, because I did, in
fact, already sell it.  This should not actually reflect on the synth
itself, however, because this was more about me switching to euro than
rejecting the UltraNova.

As far as sound goes, the UltraNova was really good.  It could sound
very warm and round or harsh and edgy.  You could get very nice pads
out of it by using sync + wave table sweeping.  The FX were also very
good.

That all said, there is nothing It could do that Massive couldnt, so
sound wise I didnt ultimately find its sound to be a critical thing in
my studio.

The presets are basically the same exact presets that were on the
SuperNova way back in the day.   I did not like these at all as they
were very generic with no real stand outs that I found.

As far as the audio interface, that worked well enough in the tests I
did.  No real serious latency or driver problems that I detected.  The
unit, unfortunately, cannot act as a MIDI interface for other gear.

If I were going to China and needed a portable 3 octave keyboard with
audio interface, the Ultra would be a great choice.  It does what it
does with very little fuss and sounds good enough for the task.  Also,
since they have been out for a little while now, there is a glut of
them available via second hand sources.

Tony