Arturia Origin

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 8 22:49:50 CEST 2010

On Sep 6, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Jay Vaughan wrote:

>> Yea def, maybe I will even make a video.
>>

> I'm really interested in what you'll get up to with this thing .. its one of my favourite synths of the decade.  A friend of mine has one here in Vienna, I really like it.

Yea so this thing sounds pretty bad ass.

Switched it on but midi was not working for some reason, after trying a bunch of things, switched it on and off and it was back. Note: it's running the original software release so I need to update, they have apparently squashed a good amount of bugs, and added some features in the current release.

Went through some of the presets, there were a few that were ok sounding but in general pretty bla and uninspiring.

As soon as I dove into programing from scratch it really started to sing. I have watched just about every video online of this guy and I have not really gone into the manual, just a quick skim of the pdf the other day. I have to say it's pretty damn easy to program. I am by no means an expert synth programer, especially modular, but I know my way around a synth. I had no problem creating some basic patches from scratch. First a nice one with 3 CS-80 oscillators 1 CS-80 filter, amp env and filter env. It sounded huge and screamed Vangelis as soon as you hit some chords :)  Then one with 3 detuned Saw Jupiter osc's, CS-80 filter, amp env and LFO for filter mod = Pretty damn fat. I have only made fairly basic patches (as far as routing goes) so far but they sound really great, which says a lot for the sound I think. You don't have to program the shit out of it to get sounds that sound nice, analog and fat.

The interface works. It's actually pretty quick to get around on the screen and there is just enough external control for the most used parameters for it to make sense. Some of it takes some getting used to but I found it pretty damn fun to program so far, and fun is a good word. Also I saw that Axel Hartmann was part of the design team, and I thought, ah that makes sense.

Anyway I have barely scratched the surface of this thing but just wanted to put up my thoughts. I am hoping the hardware holds up as I read they had some trouble with the first batch of units, and I am not sure which batch mine is from yet. If there are problems they happen quickly so fingers crossed for the next few day.