Gmail, mailing lists, and not receiving your own postings

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 27 18:42:13 CEST 2010

I can't be the only person who utterly hates this Gmail "feature" of not
showing you your own postings to mailing lists, and only showing the
replies?  This one:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6588

It messes up threading a treat, for starters - even more so if you use
an external POP3 email client like I do (Thunderbird) and only use the
Gmail web interface on occasion.  I never see my own mailing list
postings in Thunderbird, because it is not a Gmail inbox and thus not
under the control of the "conversations" system.  My list postings never
appear here, because Gmail filters them out of my POP3 box.

I've switched several of my own domains to using Gmail for the email
(via Google Apps), as the spam filtering can't be beaten, and the
webmail and archiving is useful when I'm not using my main computer.

But I really wish they'd give us an option to turn this stupid "feature"
off because it does not follow the behaviour I have come to expect.  In
fact, I know I'm not the only person who dislikes it, because a few
other people I've helped set up with Gmail have asked me about it, and
it's actually quite embarrassing to have to tell them that this bug is
considered a "feature", and that there's no way to change it back to normal.

For starters, if nobody replies to your message, you have no way of
checking it actually arrived on the list unless you go and look at the
web archives (which not all lists make available anyway).

So unless someone replies to this message, I'll be needing to rely on
trust that it actually came through.

Other than that, I really like Gmail, but this bug is so crap I almost
think about dumping it and going back to my former setup.

Cheers,

Dave