Last Friday's gig

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 14 17:35:22 CEST 2010

Hi Gert,

> Are you using a tube amp? I'm hearing those distorted overtones :-)

Mostly it's just DI from the custom (of course...) circuit I put in the Stick -
which has zero (I mean ZERO, i.e. <0.003% THD) audible harmonic distortion, so
what you're hearing is the richness that comes from a slight downward decay
sweep of a slightly resonant VCF across harmonics above 4kHz (one filter on each
of melody and bass channels), which I think probably sounds a bit like
distortion, because it excites the ear by modulating upper harmonic amplitudes.
The sweeping is actually absent on the first piece, as I mistakenly had the
sensitivity set to zero (today I hard wired it to the correct level and bypassed
the pot), although the difference is more of sonic interest than anything one
can hear directly. In the mix there is also some live sound from the camera,
which certainly is distorting a bit on the peaks, and contains a limter which I
assume is analogue, and so full of subtle harmonic distortion... This is around
20dB down in most places, just to keep some live ambience going, so that could
be what you're hearing, and also the strings themselves, are full of complex
sound, and the inductive pickups on any guitar always sound warm to my ears, if
you can listen to them direct without any pedals, amps etc, which add a lot of
additional colour that's way less subtle than the beautiful string/pickup
interaction.

The instrument is plugged directly into a Lexicon MX300 reverb, from which I'm
taking a digital 24bit 48kHz output and dumping the bit stream (without effect)
to a portable recorder. I recreated the effect later, when mixing the sound for
the video - exactly the same as what went into the PA.

Tony (HB)