The Clash

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 12 19:12:11 CEST 2010

Hi,
On 10.10.2010, at 21:30, Martin Naef wrote:

> Now that the economy is worsening, people are scared about loosing their
> way of life. That includes economic aspects, but also cultural things.
> For a long time, those fears were oppressed instead of addressed.

I think we lose more of your culture when you accept McDonald's as a legitimate food source than worrying about muslims moving into your country.

On 10.10.2010, at 20:04, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:

> I also learnt to respect those who expressed those unfortunate and unwanted
> tendencies, because, without exception, each one of them was fearful, and giving
> translated voice to genuine, heartfelt emotions, which had nothing to do with
> the causes they imagined, but were nevertheless, entirely real, and needing of
> attention.

Yes. I whole heartedly agree. Fear is what is being sown into the hearts and minds of everyone. "Cui bono?" is always the question, but also: where does it lead us. In many different directions, depending on what fear.

On 10.10.2010, at 23:31, Peter Korsten wrote:

> For such a tiny country, that has a major impact. And for too long, the
> left has been ignoring the growing discontent, hiding it behind fancy
> words, until the disenfranchised electorate figured out that they could
> vote for someone who says what they want to hear.

You are certainly right accusing the left of not being up to par with the developments about integration of foreigners. It's only my opinion, but they didn't seem to pour oil into the fire like some of our conservatives are doing right now. Thilo Sarazzin, Horst Seehofer, Erika Steinbach, are just some of the names of politicians, well in the "middle" of German society and Sarazzin is even a member of the social democratic party (who's board would like to get rid of him but the majority in the party wants him to remain).

The left may have been ignoring the problem for too long. The right (and that includes German CDU/CSU, FDP and more) has been active, passing laws that worsen the situation of foreigners in Germany.

I think there is a (maybe not so) subtle war going on, where provocations on one side will give the other new reasons to increase their hate towards their opponents (enemies). According to a few people I spoke to in the past few days, this escalation might well lead to a real war in the years to come. I don't think necessarily, but it's not out of the question...

Kai