Hang

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 22 23:18:55 CET 2010

> In Buddhism, this is known as satisfying the hungry ghost (which,
> because it
> cannot eat, will never cease to be hungry).

Actually, a hungry ghost *can* eat and can be appeased by feeding.  Hungry
ghosts are those who die with no family to make ritual offerings and thus
"starve."  Most monasteries have twice annual rituals which serve to feed
these ghosts.  I've never understood how it is that the ghosts end up at the
temples though and I can't get a straight answer from my Buddhist friends or
Professors specializing in such things.

So, what I really need is for a temple to just give it to me (preferably
twice a year) and I could be satisfied, at least for a while... ;)

James