Schnapps and Chilli sauce ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 1 21:41:22 CET 2010

Op 31-10-2010 13:37, Jay Vaughan schreef:

> anyone else doing something like that these days?

Nah, we were having lunch and dinner in Rome over the past three days
(October 29th to 31st, flew back today with a big delay because of a
rainstorm).

Put it this way: I'm sure you'll be able to eat badly in Rome, but we
didn't manage. :)

Trattoria Tritone, which had taken on almost mythical proportions in my
memory, was actually a bit disappointing. The spaghetti cacio e pepe was
excellent, except for the too large amount of oil. The funghi porcini
arrosto were just, well, meh. And too much oil, again.

On the other hand, ristorante Nautilus, which is like a one minute walk
from our hotel, was excellent. I got two Sicilian specialities (it's not
too difficult to find Sicilian food in Malta; there' a restaurant in
Valletta called 'Omerta', but we never get round to going there), the
lady kissed Jean-Luc on the head, and she was one of several who thought
that he was 'molto bello' or even 'troppo bello'.

All in all, three days of quality time with just the three of us, which
we've never really had. Going on such a trip with a child with
high-functioning autism is, shall we say, interesting at times, but just
after you want to murder him, he does something incredibly cute, and
everything is forgiven.

To get back to the original subject... the 'problem' we have in this
country is that things grow almost too well. What is a plotted plant in
western/central Europa, is a big tree here. Plant something, and there's
a good chance that in three years time, it will try to eat you.

So we'll just stick with our three orange trees (all different
varieties) and the poor excuse for a peach tree, for now at least. We
have a large, flat roof, and it could be a great idea to plant some
things there - provided there aren't too many torrential downpours like
we've been having them lately.

But the time, oh, the time...

- Peter