Music-bar Radio

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 16 16:30:28 CET 2010

Tony Scharf wrote:
> The biggest issue and stumbling block is the really stupid
> ASCAP/BMI/SOCAM licensing crap.  We looked into it (a friend of mine
> and I wanted to do a podcast) and to do it legally you had to pay
> royalties. EVEN IF YOU HAD NO ASCAP MEMBERS IN YOUR PLAYLIST!!! I
> havnt looked into it recently, but I doubt the rules have gotten less
> restrictive over time.
>
> About the only time you can legally broadcast tracks in this way
> (podcast or netcast) is to play your own and no one elses.  Even then,
> the rules are a bit murky.
>
> Not to rain on anyones parade here, but before we put anything on a
> public server, we should check out what the compliance requirements
> are.  From my old Carbon Haze days, I am actually an ASCAP member, so
> I know my tracks would either not be playable on the the bar's
> broadcast, or someone would have to pay them their annual due.

Stillstream and electro-music play music without paying any royalties to
BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, GEMMA, Soundscan, or any other entity.  They only
play music released under a Creative Commons license.  Stillstream will
play music licensed under BMI, ASCAP, et al but ONLY if the copyright
owner provides them with a license to do so royalty-free.  Tony, if
you're an ASCAP member, yes, they want to collect royalties for you but
YOU are the copyright holder and have the right to issue a license to
any entity you choose to play your music free from royalties.
http://radio.electro-music.com and http://stillstream.com are good
models to follow.

I hope that this encourages us to move forward with Music Bar Radio.
The royalty collection agencies are powerless against the licenses
granted by the copyright holders.

Cheers,

Bill