Hartmann Neuron

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 9 13:58:30 CET 2010

Chris Strellis wrote:
> I've got the Neuron VS bought from Joost actually!
>
> It comes with the Nuke usb controller/dongle but all the sound
> generation runs on your PC and its sound card. So really, apart from the
> reduce control area it's the same as the hardware version. I like it but
> I'm still yet to make my own models.
>
> I'd forget the fancy PC in a box illusion.  It's only because you
> recognised the familiar PC hardware.  If you didn't see a known
> motherboard, you'd think it was special.

I can *prove* that once it's in the digital domain, the physical form of the
hardware doesn't affect the sound!

Whether it's a DSP (or, maybe FPGA), an ARM or an Intel, it sounds the same -
assuming that the same wordlengths are used, and the algorithms are bit-wise
exactly the same.

Having said that, if I see a cheesy cheap Intel board without custom AD/DA,
then, I'll know the sound is naff before I hear it because, if the converters
are bad, then the engineers responsible are certainly not going to do the DSP
programming marathon that's necessary to achieve high quality in the digital domain.

Which is why I like Supercollider, actually. Then, I'd be happy knowing that all
the engineers had to do was choose some decent converters.

Tony (HB)