Music-bar Radio

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Mar 6 16:10:36 CET 2010

The biggest issue and stumbling block is the really stupid
ASCAP/BMI/SOCAM licensing crap.  We looked into it (a friend of mine
and I wanted to do a podcast) and to do it legally you had to pay
royalties. EVEN IF YOU HAD NO ASCAP MEMBERS IN YOUR PLAYLIST!!! I
havnt looked into it recently, but I doubt the rules have gotten less
restrictive over time.

About the only time you can legally broadcast tracks in this way
(podcast or netcast) is to play your own and no one elses.  Even then,
the rules are a bit murky.

Not to rain on anyones parade here, but before we put anything on a
public server, we should check out what the compliance requirements
are.  From my old Carbon Haze days, I am actually an ASCAP member, so
I know my tracks would either not be playable on the the bar's
broadcast, or someone would have to pay them their annual due.

btw: we figured to stay in compliance with all the rules, even as a
non-commercial broadcaster (we wanted to do this for free initially)
it could cost about $1000 per year for the licensing and royalties.
We havnt moved forward, because not all the parties involved could
commit to paying an equal portion.

Tony