Dental Corporations of the World!

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 25 22:48:45 CEST 2010

On 25/06/10 20:25, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2010, at 12:40 PM, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
>
>> Hey Dong,
>>
>> Perhaps this is something you could get your teeth into:
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10385853.stm
>>
>> Big vacuum tube.
>>

> "I would have thought there would be some sort of rules and laws about
> messing around with nuclear fusion in your apartment"

I hate to be pedantic about a report that did such a good job in letting me and
others know about IEC fusion, *but*, the electricity gets produced directly,
rather than via heat, because when the nuclei fuse you get a bunch of helium
nuclei (if using the p-B11 fuel), and these are positive, and the electrons are
there to drive a current throught the system, in theory, 85% efficiency or more.
The problem is that the ions have to cycle around several times before their
nuclei fuse, and the devil is in how you get the f**kers to fuse before they
just hit a grid or a magnet or what-have-you. It's (relatively) easy to get
fusion, but making it sustainable is rather the subject of some interesting
research. The most promising (IMO) being IEC POPS - an oscillating plasma system
that's also based on the original Farnsworth-Hirsch approach.

The guy who started all this off, and the designer of the magnetic confinement
system shown in the report, is a guy called Bussard. Passed away a couple of
years ago. Any of you familiar with sci-fi may have heard of the Bussard ramjet.
A talk given by Bussard to Google is online:

http://tinyurl.com/yzfx856

Anyway, the fun thing is that a lot of this has a bit of a DIY sniff about it.

Tony (HB)