Safe CPU temperatures on AMD Sempron?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 4 14:32:30 CEST 2010

Hi Bar,

Bit of a random technical question this, but I'm sure someone here will
know the answers.  (The Dong, perhaps?)

I'm trying to find out what are the safe operating temperatures for a
socket 754 AMD Sempron 3300+ and am not having much luck getting a
straight answer!

I've been running this particular computer (second hand from a good
friend who is into video editing so bought a newer model) for a couple
of years now with no problems. It's about 4-5 years old.

A few months ago, for some reason one of my memory modules went wrong,
so I'm now down to 1GB from the original 2GB I had.  In the process of
troubleshooting this, I tried removing and re-installing the CPU and CPU
heatsink (although obviously this turned out not to be the problem).

I had never paid any attention whatsoever to the CPU temperature before,
but after reinstalling the CPU and heatsink, I decided to just keep an
eye on it's temperature in the taskbar... and what I'm seeing is
slightly worrying.

With ambient temperatures of around (my guess) 15-20 degrees C, the CPU
idles at around 55-60 degrees C, and has peaked at 75-80 degrees C.
This all sounds a bit too hot!

However, as it was never a concern before, and as this system has worked
fine for several years, I'm wondering if I'm just worrying about
nothing, and if this CPU is basically OK to run quite hot?  I have seen
it said on various forums that the AMDs can run pretty hot without any
problems - but what does "pretty hot" actually mean?

The CPU details (from Linux "cat /proc/cpuinfo") are as follows:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 15
model		: 44
model name	: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 2043.477
cache size	: 128 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow up pni lahf_lm
bogomips	: 4086.95
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

I have checked in the BIOS to make sure I'm not accidentally
overclocking it, and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be fine
there.

Yesterday, just to be sure, I reinstalled the CPU and heatsink using
Arctic Silver 5 (second time around), and followed the instructions to
the letter.  So today, the temperature is running a couple of degrees
hotter than before (idle at about 62-63 degrees C), but I expect this to
cool down a little once I get to 200+ hours use.

I'm only using the stock AMD heatsink and fan, but it has been fine up
until now, and I don't think there is anything wrong with the motor or
dust buildup or anything like that.

I've also turned off all variable fan-speed stuff in the BIOS, so the
fan is currently always running at full speed.

Perhaps I need more fans in my case?  (But the noise might become a
problem?)

On the other hand, since this CPU is now 4-5 years old, and a
replacement can be purchased from Ebay for around £30 or even less,
perhaps I should just say "to hell with it", and if it dies, I'll just
replace it.

I don't want to get a new computer, but I don't mind repairing bits of
this one.

Anybody got any thoughts?  What would you do?

Thanks!

~Dave