Bamboo Pen & Touch

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 31 18:24:08 CEST 2010

So, as one of the first things I did when I got my new contact lenses
and thereby my life back (have been with my glasses and being totally
dependent on other for the last couple of weeks), I went to the local
computer supermarket (that's the only way I can describe it; the only
thing missing is trolleys, but they do have baskets and
supermarket-style checkout counters) and got myself a Wacom Bamboo Pen &
Touch.

This is a graphics tablet and multi-touch capable touch pad in one
device. With one finger, you move the mouse cursor; with two, you can
scroll both horizontally and vertically, zoom, and rotate. With the pen,
you get either absolute (pen-like) or relative (mouse-like) navigation.

Now, I'm not in the least artistically inclined, and as a graphics
tablet, I think a professional would quickly find the limitations of
this device.

But as an alternative means of controlling the mouse, it's a blast. I
find myself constantly switching between mouse, tablet and pad. For
example, if you play the on-line game 'Doodle God', you really want to
use the pen.

One minus I've found: I don't think it integrates very well with
multitouch under Windows 7. And scrolling with the stylus simply doesn't
work.

Now, it actually does these multitouch thingies under XP as well (which
may explain why it doesn't do 7 too well), but when I took the thing
back to my Windows 7 machine, the scrolling, rotating and zooming via
the pad stopped working altogether. I had to reinstall the software.

Still, if you find you suffer from RSI, you may want to have a look at
these. As I said before, I hate laptops, but now I not only have a
laptop-style keyboard, I also have a touch pad. :)

- Peter