iPad and noise.io

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 29 07:28:59 CET 2010

Op 29-1-2010 1:33, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> Past that time on the PC but not on the relatively new iPhone OS and
> app store distribution. It basically singlehandedly exploded the
> mobile gaming market, and a lot of developers paving the way in this
> market are simply individuals and small groups. These people with
> success have and will expand their companies and/or get picked up by
> the bigger distributers but the fact remains, the opportunity is there.

See, I don't share that enthusiasm. What we saw - not only on the
iPhone, but on all mobile phones when they started to acquire games - is
that people were happy playing games that had all the sophistication
that we were used to in the mid 1980s.

The games I've seen demoed on the iPhone/iPod/iPad are all of such
complexity that you need more than a small team to build them, let alone
an individual.

It strikes me very much as the open source movement and the 'bazaar'
model of developing: despite a good 15 years of Linux development, the
last 10 of those with big players like IBM pushing it, no open source
application has managed to make a significant dent in proprietary
software. Maybe Firefox, but even so, it remains fairly low when
compared to Internet Explorer. Lots of prophesying, but nothing to show
for it.

(Before people start calling 'and what about Apache HTTPd?': that was
already there before IIS, or other proprietary applications.)

And whilst we hear about success stories, like the guy who developed a
helicopter game and got rich from it, how many untold stories are there
of all those developers who don't make any money?

I've been involved in software development for too long to believe that
it's something you can still do on your own.

- Peter