iPad and noise.io

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 28 21:01:38 CET 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com
> > wrote:
>> Ok in this case your problem it is not so much a closed system but a
>> new or different one correct? The only problem is that FL Studio and
>> Reaktor etc.. are not available on this iPhone OS. If this tablet ran
>> android (or maybe linux) you would have the same problem. Apple
>> wanted
>> to create a slick mobile platform - this is not ment for a full blown
>> computer environment. Also the full blown computer environment is not
>> ready for multi-touch. This is just apple trying to get the gears
>> moving with a content consumption device, that just so happens to be
>> exciting to me as a content creation device after the wonderful devs
>> in the app store get done with it :)
>
> If it had been a full blown computing environment I could have run
> whatever I wanted on it.  If it had a non-propriety iTunes dependent
> connection system I could attach what I wanted to it.

if it was simply a tablet with OSX on it and a few usb ports, there
would have been no point. OSX and all the software on it was made for
a mouse not your fingers. Also the tech is really not there to give
you a good full computer experience on such a slim device.

> But as I stated before, Apple is not about choice.  Apple is about
> fitting into a certain segment and if it doesnt quite fit, tough.

> As it stands, my acer netbook only lacks one thing the iPad has and
> that is a multi-touch interface.

I guarantee if your netbook had a multi-touch screen it would simply
be a horrible experience. What your netbook is lacking is an operating
system and software that is designed around a touch interface.

> What the iPad lacks that my netbook
> has is just about everything else.  My netbook is not dependent on me
> having another computer to synchronize it with to install software.
> My netbook has its own storage, and I can plug in external storage if
> I need more.  My netbook has WIFI and I can have 3G or even 4G through
> whatever carrier I wish (albeit at a higher prices and with a contract
> - Ill concede that is a cool thing for the iPad users).  If I want to
> make software for my netbook, and I want to share it with others, I
> dont have to submit it for review by some third party who can, at
> their whim, decide that my application is not useful or competes with
> something they put out.

honestly while the app store system has it's faults it has created an
incredible environment for average people to create innovative
software, and make a profit out of what they love. Unfortunately it
would not have seen such success without being what it is - which is a
business orientated machine, and with that comes downsides.

You can of course become a developer and share your applications ad
hoc without going through the app store. But it's a less than ideal
workaround for many reasons.

> For the everyday average user who doesnt know and doesnt want to this
> is good.  I am just not one of them.

right, in the general population the idea of a netbooks is for
browsing the web and email, that's it. You and I want to do things on
netbooks that they were not designed for because they are cheap and
portable, we are able to get away with some of these things, sort of.

Apple makes products that they want to be experiences - this is a
consumer product - they want to be certain it's going to function a
certain way for it's users. It's a test bed for a new type of
computing interface. An as is OSX netpad would have been a waste of
time,

I honestly have no idea where they are going with this in the way it
relates to computing as a whole. I'm not sure they know either.

We don't know if multi-touch is really even a good idea beyond
navigating the web and browsing photos and such. Think about how multi-
touch would really help you in a music environment beyond being able
to fake touch interfaces as if they were hardware.