Sage Accounting

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 23 09:58:13 CET 2010

Op 23-1-2010 4:41, The Dong schreef:

> The saddest thing is I doubt I can convince the head of the accounting
> department that instead of retraining in Line 200 (it's slightly
> different) why not seek out an alternate package or packages based on
> positive reviews by real people and import the data? Training may still
> be needed, but quite frankly, if it's got a good manual, that can be
> completely in house if she can learn enough?
>
> Wish me luck.

If you want to go down that road, the best would be to do some research
and analysis. Come with a description of the problem (yes, I know it
sounds silly), and explore the different options:
* don't do anything (yes, that's silly, too)
* get a new version of Sage
* get new software package A
* get new software package B

Etcetera. For each of those options, list the consequences, financial
impact, risks (teaching people to use a new software package has a
financial impact, too), and benefits.

Because if you want to convince someone, it's a lot easier to do if you
come up with some sort of report to corroborate him. Because the
accounting head needs to make his decision based on a number of
different aspects. This way, you can help him.

The charity could also engage with Sage and try to get a big discount
from them, because they are a charity and need every penny. Sage may or
may not want to advertise this, because there's the real possibility
that all other charities will want a big discount as well.

Finally, the charity (not you!) could drop a hint that a newspaper
article along the lines of "children's charity loses £13,000 to bad
software" may not look very well, but that is really a last resort.

- Peter