did you...

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 3 23:44:28 CET 2010

On Jan 3, 2010, at 5:25 PM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Andrew Tarpinian
> <evildead at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> See I have been struggling with this, with music, with art. Who is it
>> for? There are things that can be good enough for you but not for
>> others, and things that are good enough for others but not for you.
>> What is the divide? it is all just a compromise? One can say rely on
>> yourself as the prime audience, but that can be just as hard. As well
>> as there are many documented cases of artists working in to much of a
>> closed environment and not able to judge their work properly.
>
> The 'divide' you talk about is between yourself as listener and
> yourself as composer.  These two individual parts of yourself need to
> get together and have tea.  They need to learn to trust one another
> more.

yes that is a very good way of putting it. as this is my main struggle
in life! ;)

This would be fine yet one would prefer earl grey and the other a
double espresso :)

> I have been doing this for (what feels like) a long time now, and I
> have come to the conclusion that I am, and will forever be, my
> absolute worst critic.   Make music, play music.  Make some tracks,
> play some gigs, throw some data around the internet and see what
> happens.  Even if you only connect with a very small audience, that
> connection is worth the effort, and it is very gratifying.

one being their own worst critic can usually be a good thing as they
strive to always become better, but it is annoying as f*ck. With pay
the bills work this is somewhat easier as the client is the judge and
one needs to separate themselves from the work they are doing if they
are to keep any sanity. Should it be the same with this? Should it be
treated as a job?