Oh, bugger! SSD DRIVES!

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 3 18:35:18 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM, The Dong <dong at f2s.com> wrote:
> The Intel 160GB drive is still about £350. Frankly, I don't see the
> point, yet, till prices drop dramatically. Which they will.
> Is it really worth £350 just to wait a few minutes less per day? It
> might be more efficient just to go to the toilet less or cut out a
> coffee, tea or cigarette break in the day!
>
> £350 will buy a complete, high specced, netbook, for example, or half a
> years supply of lunchtime chocolate bars! ;)

My main reason for interest is not actually the speed/performance but
the reliability.  The main advantage for me would be the lack of
physical moving parts that could get damaged in transport.  My netbook
is taken back and forth between here and my office every day, and gets
a lot of use on the train.  In the case of my netbook, it doesnt
contain any 'critical' data.  In the case of my MPC, however, it would
really not be good to show up at a gig with a dead HD...

But I agree, they are still to expensive to justify for my uses.  The
MPC has a 2gb card slot on the front, and if I only need to load once
at the gig thats fine for use.

Tony