'grid' controllers

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 1 05:51:52 CET 2010

As a couple of you may know, I just got an MPC5000 (I got it at what I
could sell my MPC2500 for...so its like a free upgrade).  Its an
absolutely sick performance instrument.   Loading it with your sounds
takes a bit of time, but once you do a little prep work, jamming with
it is just amazing fun.  Ive been at it for a day and a half now and
am really looking forward to taking it on stage with my new solo
project.

Anyway, it has one flaw:  A grid of 4x4 pads is just not enough.
Switching pad banks is some times in convenient - it would be great to
have more note triggers.

I considered a keyboard, but for this solo project I am actually
trying to avoid using a keyboard at all.  I am trying to push myself
away from that mindset. I am also *not* taking a computer or laptop,
as there are plenty of guys already doing that.

What I am really looking for is an APC40 or Novation Launchpad that
has a MIDI output on it.  Unfortunately they dont.   The Monome is
cool...but again, no MIDI output, just that damn evil USB.

So what are my options, aside from getting 4 m-audio trigger fingers,
and hacking them into some kind of custom case with a MIDI merger?  If
it comes down to it, Ill have to get a launch pad and take my netbook
to do the MIDI conversion or get a small controller keyboard to go
with the setup.

Ideas?