After 15 years

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Feb 27 21:55:18 CET 2010

I have finally got a DAW set up that works at potential. (windows)
After a brief journey into about 20 different Linux distros, both studio
and normal versions, a few of those are selected to keep for maintenance
and office applications. Just not ready for DAW imho. Too messy.

Still XP (SP3 final now) for me.
I have now managed (my god) to get 1.5ms latency with the Hammerfall
running multiple softsynths in Live, it works, but I've set it on 3ms
with higher latencies than that not making much difference.
Of course, XP audio still glitches slightly no matter what you do if you
minimise the main DAW window, just don't do it ;)
There may be a way to fix that too, I hope.

I used nLite to create two stripped out versions of XP SP3.
One I made less than half the original install size and still has
Network support, for general surfing, scanning, art etc.
It flies!
Then, I nLited that one after much testing, to remove nearly everything,
including most networking connected stuff. There are only 18 services
left. The image is of processes running from boot, with all drivers
installed and their gubbins removed from start up. I could try going
further, but I think a lot of what is left is core...
It still needed services disabled and various known tweaks applied after
install even after all that.

Two XP installs, minimal and Studio :)
Linux on a separate partition for Office, scanning and art and also to
maintain the windows installs (easy backups, jeezus)

How long will it last? :)

A bit too late for RPM tho :(