Open Solaris

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 22 07:34:51 CET 2010

Op 21-2-2010 23:02, Mikael Hansson schreef:

> It's a P4 3.06 GHz with 2GB RAM, from around 2003 I think...

Fast enough. I was running it on a P3 Celeron, or something of the sort.
FreeNAS, I mean, which I really think is what you should be using.

>> Consider getting a dedicated RAID box like those of QNAP. They run
>> Linux, use far less electricity than any old computer, and you can do a
>> lot of other things with it as well.
>
> Including (secure) remote access through internet?

Yep. And automatic rebuilding of the array when you stick in larger
capacity discs, and stuff like that.

> Solaris installed in VMware now, checking it out.

Did I mention FreeNAS? :)

Anyway, Solaris is a great operating system. It's not more difficult to
install, or to get used to, than Linux.

Whether it's the best choice for what you want to do, well, you know my
opinion by now.

- Peter