External HDD for audio samples

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 18 02:46:28 CET 2010

I guess had the old wives tale stuck in my head that USB uses extra
cpu cycles where firewire does not. Maybe it used to be like that?

Also I was just thinking that it might be better to leave USB to deal
with all the crap (controllers etc..) I have on the USB bus, and just
plug a drive into the express slot.  I have always been a bit confused
- if you say plug a firewire card into an expansion slot (like express
card) does it create another bus, or is it still feeding off the main
system one?

Most of my external drives now are USB but for this case with lots of
audio streaming over the connection I wondered if there was a more
optimal solution.