70s/80s synth pop hint needed

Michael Zacherl. EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Feb 10 02:43:32 CET 2010

Hi All!
Last Sunday I heard a cover (which itself I found not that good) of a quite or
even pretty popular song by a synth band from the late 70s/early 80s (I think).
I wasn't sure and my first guess was: the original band is Human League!

Well ... I did some research and memory serves me badly :-(
Meanwhile I can't even remember the song itself (I was able to hum it till this morning -
now it's gone and listening to various Youpoop entries spoiled it completely).

In fact it's not as cheesy as "Don't You Want Me" and rather in the dry style
of "Being Boiled" (but which it isn't either).
From the sounds I'd say it was early 80s at best, rather quite cheap analogue
by todays measures (which certainly was not back then as many of us remember).

I also remember that I complained of the way too thick and greasy hand clap in the cover,
so I suspect that this is also a major element in the original song.

Could you help me tracking down this title - it's really bugging me meanwhile ... :-/

  thanks a lot!  Michael.  :-)