Blender 3d

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Feb 6 11:55:30 CET 2010

Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> Started rock'in this. After having used pretty much every major 3d app
> I'm blown away by this program so far, and that it's open source,
> multi-platform and free. Plus it has it's own game engine and

I'm currently using it for some project as well. The UI indeed needs
some getting used to, coming from Maya and a few other more exotic 3D
packages. I can't say that I've mastered it yet, but I did get some
useful results. I also managed to choke its import engine with some
multi-100k-poly models in the past, but others like Maya had some
difficulties as well there.

> Peter to your comment earlier about open source programs having
> trouble catching on, I think this is an example of it working.

I think Peter's comment was along the lines of "no open source
application making a major dent in the closed-source business", and I
haven't heard of many commercial studios integrating blender into their
pipeline yet. But given the massive cost of the "big" 3D apps vs. free
and good, I could see quite a few freelancers switching over. After all,
its FBX import/export seems decent.

Martin